Tuesday, May 28, 2013

WATCHING WITH THE ENEMY!


You see that shit last night right?  Of course you did,

That 4-3 Chicago Blackhawks win over the Detroit Red Wings last night was pretty nice.  To my limited Hockey knowledge, the first playoffs win at Joe Louis Arena in 20 years.

That’s already in the past though, there’s still a game seven looming tomorrow, and the only thing more important than the game itself is where you’re watching it and who you’re watching it with.

Rest assured, if the Hawks finish off this comeback, you’re going to want to celebrate, work on Thursday morning be damned.  And if they do somehow lose, you at least want to say you had a good time where you were.

So where am I watching the game tomorrow night? 

The same damn place I was Monday night: Beer Garden with great food and drink, outdoor patio with heat lamps to keep people toasty if it’s a little breezy out…couch seating if you’re smart enough to show up early? Heaven.

I don’t know why I hadn’t heard of this spot sooner because I love checking out new bars, maybe I missed the Metromix or RedEye feature on it, they’re good at that sort of thing.

My friends and I WERE supposed to be stopping at another establishment for the second and third period, but after realizing what kind of digs we were working with, we kind of decided it would be in our best interest to stand pat.

I enjoyed myself so much, I’ve already told people to join us Wednesday and I’ve gotten the same uneasy cock-eyed stare each time.   Not really sure why either…oh, did I mention it’s a Detroit Bar?

Yes that's right, Diag Bar & Grill over on Southport & Wolfram is technically a University of Michigan/Detroit bar and I could give a shit less about it and I DETEST the city as well as all it’s teams.

The only three things about Detroit I enjoy: Barry Sanders, 80’s cop movies, and the occasional Kid Rock track when I lift.

So what’s the most common response to my invite?

 “What if a fight breaks out?”

 That shit is so strange to me…

First of all, if someone talks shit to you about your favorite team, either be an adult and ignore it or if you have some wit, hit em with a little wise-ass remark right back.

Secondly, and I keep saying this, if you are a 20+ year-old man (or woman) really ready to punch someone in the face over the love of a professional sports franchise, you have some serious issues in your life and get zero respect.

I get it though; you want to be around your own kind for a big game, especially one of this magnitude.

The logical response is to mention that you probably wouldn’t catch me in a Green Bay Bar if the Packers and Bears were playing each other and at this time last year you would be right…

But that was before last September, when I sat at Bears dominated bar right before a nationally televised game between the two teams and witnessed two female Packers fans casually stroll in (foam cheese heads and all) and grab a seat right without much harassment other than a playful jab about wearing the wrong colors.

That was also before I caught a game at Will’s Northwoods Inn; marketed as Chicago’s only Green Bay bar for a playoff game between the Vikings and Pack and I can promise you, I didn’t really make my affiliation a secret nor will I when I go back this fall.

And that was before I decided that potentially celebrating an epic 3-1 series comeback against a hated rival in one of their bars is an oddly satisfying feeling in my Chicago-sick mind.

So come through and join us tomorrow night, you’re not going to catch shit; no one is going to try to start a fight with you, and who knows? You just may end up like me and want to catch EVERY game there.

We’ll leave a seat open for you.


-WST

No comments:

Post a Comment