Monday, May 20, 2013

THE FIRST ANNUAL WST THAT'S MY GUY! AWARDS


I’m sure you’ve noticed that I say, “That’s my guy!” a lot.  It could mean we really are friends or it could just mean it’s someone I appreciate or have respect for.

That’s said, I’ve decided to take it a step further and create the first annual That’s My Guy! Award.

Just the WST’s way of showing appreciation for several people and places that make my life a little more enjoyable

THAT'S MY FOOTBALL GUY: ADRIAN PETERSON
He may play for a division rival of my favorite team but AP put the Vikings on his BACK and rushed for 2,097 yards to lead them into the playoffs.  Too bad he had to go into that playoff game with Joe Webb as his QB. Yeah stop for a second and take that in…JOE WEBB?!


THAT'S MY BASKETBALL GUY: JIMMY BUTLER
I think I have a bro crush on Jimmy Butler.  Selected 30th overall in the 2011 NBA draft, nobody really expected “Jimmy Buckets” to have much of an impact, let alone his second year, but after flip-flopping between Shooting Guard and Small Forward on a injury-depleted Bulls team and after averaging 13 ppg in the playoffs, you can pencil him in as team’s starting SG to open the 2013-14 season.

Did I mention HE HAS THE SAME BACKSTORY AS MICHAEL OHER FROM THE BLINDSIDE?!  I’M SERIOUS!  LOOK IT UP!!!!!


THAT'S MY BASEBALL GUY: MIGUEL CABRERA
Triple Crown.  That’s all I can say.  Well I can also mention he had Three homers, drove in five and went 4 for 4 just last night. BEAST!


THAT’S MY HOCKEY GUY: MARIAN HOSSA
            Hossa got carted off the ice on a damn stretcher last April following a dirty-ass from Raffi Torres (then of the Phoenix Coyotes).  He came back like a G this year to score 17 goals with 14 assists while picking up 31 points.  Plus the whole “Bitches Love Hossa” thing is pretty baller.

THAT'S MY PIZZA GUY (DELIVERY): PIZZA NOVA
            Pizza Nova has several locations but I usually mess with the one at 1842 W. 18th street.  Order a large pie with pepperoni, mushrooms and crushed red pepper, now tell them to keep it in the oven for a 10 extra minutes to give it a crispier crust.  I don’t know what heaven’s like, but I’d imagine it’s something like this.

THAT”S MY SANDWICH GUY: JERRY’S
            Unless you’re my buddy Rog, you’re going to love this place.  The décor, the neighborhood, the staff, the craft brews are perfect.  I haven’t even gotten to their kick-ass buffalo chicken sandwich or the crab-dip appetizer that’s so addicting, you may just order a second for your meal.

THAT’S MY BAR GUY: HEADQUARTERS BEERCADE
            After 15 years of domination, I thought I had called it a career  and hung up my controllers as far as video games go after I finished undergrad.   That all changed the minute I stepped into Headquarters Beercade; a bar with all the old-school games I loved as a kid plus CRAFT BEER!  Now I’m starting to feel my hands shaking again…they crave button mashing all the time and I couldn’t be happier.


THAT'S MY RAP GUY: CHILDISH GAMBINO
            If the WST could rap, I’d be Childish Gambino a.k.a. Donald Glover of 30 Rock and Community fame.  No one combines hip-hop and geekdom better than Bino (he got his rap moniker using the Wu-Tang Clan name generator). My favorite song would have to be “Starlight” from his second independent album Poindexter.  His verse is crazy and I’m proud to say I can rap it word for word. 

You know that feeling when you rap a song word for word?  It’s like finding a fucking $100 bill on the street!

THAT'S MY GUY BECAUSE HE”S GOT A GUY: MY BUDDY “U”
            Readers are more than familiar with my friend "U" at this point.  What you didn’t probably know is the man is a living Rolodex. Broken Window?  He has a guy.  Car needs a tune-up? He’s got a guy.  A/C needs to be fixed?  He’s got three guys.  The crazy part is that it’s no bullshit; they’re all reliable and cost a lot less than what you’d probably pay elsewhere.


THAT’S MY (DREAM) GIRL: SKYLAR DIGGINS
            Sky Diggs is smart.  She’s a hell of a Basketball player but realizes it’s the endorsements from her sex appeal that will get get her PAID.  Do your thing young lady and next time you’re in Chicago and feel like grabbing a slushie or hitting up the arcade…just saying I MAY be available. 

-WST

No comments:

Post a Comment