Thursday, March 28, 2013

A POEM: WHY DID I CHOOSE EXCELLENCE?

Couple things happened in the last 24 hours...

Bulls snapped the Miami Heat's 27-game win streak.  Well done.

Saw G.I. Joe: Retaliation last night.  It was my favorite cartoon show growing up (tie with Doug), so I was really looking forward to some sweet nostalgia.

The Verdict:  entertaining, but I wouldn't be mad if you if you waited until it comes out on DVD, or you buy a copy from the always reliable bootleg man outside of your local Walgreens or gas station.

That's about all you'll hear on either from me today. I'm going to step back for a day and let someone else get some shine.

A reader e-mailed yesterday morning:

"My student, Emmanuel Cullins, was just honored to be on the Superintendent Honor Roll. He is a young African-American Male and he wrote an AMAZING poem about why he chose excellence! I think you should put it in your blog!"

I read Emmanuel's poem about four times and it makes me smile...  

If you read yesterday's post, you KNOW how much I like(need) to smile.  

It's upbeat, its positive and I'm feeling it.  He's a very talented kid and if he keeps up, he''ll be doing big things in a few years.  

In the future, if you have something creative that you want to see put on, or just have a suggestion for a future posts, just hit my inbox.

Without further adieu, here is 13-year old Emmanuel Cullins from Northwest Middle School in Kansas City, Missouri.
Why did I Choose Excellence?
(That is the Question) 
                                                                                    Why did I choose Excellence?
When I could have been a gangster
Why did I choose Excellence?
When I could have been a drug dealer
Why did I choose Excellence?
When I could have been thirteen with a baby
Why did I choose Excellence?
When I could have been one of those dumb jocks you see on TV
Why did choose Excellence?
When I could have let peer pressure get to me
Why did I choose Excellence?
Well here’s why
I chose Excellence because
I wanted to change the world
I chose Excellence because
I wanted to make a difference
I chose Excellence because
I didn’t want to be part of statistics that say I’m not going to graduate.
I chose Excellence because
I wanted to make my parents proud
I choose Excellence because
That’s all I know how to do
Why did I choose Excellence?
That was your question
And now you have your answer

-WST

No comments:

Post a Comment