Monday, February 18, 2013

THE LAST BALLAD OF AN OLD GUNFIGHTER: MY RETIREMENT

Over the weekend, I found myself in the area of Chicago known as Pilsen slugging down craft brews at Simone’s-A trendy bar & lounge where the neighborhood’s suddenly growing hipster population rub elbows with the 20-something sons and daughters of the elders that have long made up this predominately Latin side of town.


Simone’s is a hip-hop addict’s dream.  A place where the house DJ’s spins classics such as De La Soul's “Me, Myself and I” one minute and today’s hits such as “Pop That” by French Montana the next.  It was this song playing overhead when her and I made eye contact...



5’7,dark hair, black leather jacket, gray jeans, red pump heels, the wide-frame black hipster glasses that everyone rocks these days as well as very nice, well, um, “assets.”  My two associates had just went to the bathroom and I stood solo as strutted right up to me with a half smile and asked the question I knew she had on her mind the minute we noticed each other...



“You got moves! Wanna dance-off?"

I looked at her, thought about it, and flashed a smile before I calmly put my hands up and said, “It’s cool, you got it, I don’t even want any trouble tonight!”

That night, or rather morning, as I crawled into my bed, I realized my time had come to an end.

So today, with great sadness but excitement, I officially announce my departure from all competitive dance-offs.

Will I miss it? Sure. Don't fret, I won't leave dancing all together, I'll still get down with a pretty girl or at a wedding.  However, I feel I have accomplished all there is in the domain of dance battles. 

My dancing will go down in history books and I’ve inspired movies. yes. MOVIES.  

Save the Last Dance, Step Up, You Got Served? All me.

First of all, I’d like to thank my parents, Lee & Eleanor. They’ve always been great and motivated me every day. Mom’s Belizean bloodlines also surely helped. Like her, I was naturally born with rhythm.

I’d like to thank the organizers of the Oak Park Park District Jr. High Dances.  It was HERE that I discovered my gift to the beat of songs like The Luniz’s “I got 5 on it” and Lil Troy’s “Wanna Be A Baller”

To Oak Park-River Forest High School: your monthly MORPS (PROM spelled backward) provided me with countless opportunities for competition that would ultimately hone my skills for the next level.

Sioux City, Iowa, Briar Cliff University and the now-closed Rosie’s Bar will always remain special places in my heart.  At one point, I’m almost certain Rosie himself told me he would be naming the dance floor in my honor (maybe I was drunk). 

As for BCU, I look forward to being invited back in a few years for the ceremony honoring me as the greatest dancer to ever grace campus.  I’m sure I can dig up a few old pairs of shoes for their Hall of Fame.

Thanks to Duffy’s, Red Ivy, McGee’s, John Barleycorn, Moe’s Cantina, Kirkwood’s, The Underground, Lumen, Rebel, The Mid, Spy Bar, Le Passage, Soundbar, The Pony, Dore', Bull & Bear, Public House, V-Live, Crocodile, Houndstooth Saloon as well as any other Chicago establishment that were graced with my majestic feet on multiple occasions.

 I look forward to seeing my picture hanging proudly each time I walk through your doors.

As for the future, it looks bright!

 I plan to take my free time to work with the youth as well as open a series of centers all over the Chicagoland area for the rhythmically challenged. 

There are other philanthropic endeavors I have planned as well but they’re not ready to see the light of day yet.

Finally, to all my fans and admirers, I say thank you for recognizing my greatness.  It’s been a fun ride and the honor of watching me move has been all yours.

Life is good. Dancing is better.

-WST

No comments:

Post a Comment