Wednesday, April 17, 2013

WEDNESDAY RANT-SUMMER BLOCKBUSTERS AND SLURPEES: AN APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION!


Summer is around the corner and people have their summertime addictions… 

Some are all about the music scene.  Coachella, Bonnaroo, Glastonbury, Lollapalooza, OSHEAGA, Electric Daisy Carnival etc.

Some people will travel:  London, Paris, Toronto, Rio De Janeiro Tokyo, Spain, and The Caribbean.

A shitload of people will get married…

  Thank you lord all my college buddies have gotten that taken care of.  I think I used every vacation day in my arsenal traveling somewhere in support or to be apart of a friend's ceremony.

Some people may just be destined to spend every weekend from May to August on the beach, brunching, watching baseball games, or just chilling on a deck getting a tan (I think I’m good on the tan part though).

As for myself, next month, May 3rd begins a time-honored tradition in my circle of friends.

It’s midnight Summer Blockbuster and 7-11 Slurpee season!!!!!!!!!!!

I take my movies very seriously, the interesting part of that is that I RARELY go out to see movies until the summertime. 

You know how many movies I’ve actually seen in a theatre since September?

Five: Skyfall, Django, Lincoln (fell asleep), G.I. Joe (still pissed about that one) and 42. 

Everything else: I either waited for DVD release, or “Mr. JR,” my neighborhood’s bootleg movie guy, provided it to me.  

Look down on me if you want, but why go out and spend $18 bucks to see a movie that may or may not be good when I can buy 3 for $5 or 5 for $10 (all great quality by the way) and watch it from the comforts of my own home?  Plus, I can buy or make my own snacks for a lot cheaper! 

I’m just being a smart consumer and in this day and age, any money saved counts!

Going out to see a movie and actually liking it is a risky business, but you feel better taking a chance with the summer blockbuster because it’s a summer blockbuster…

The fact that it has specifically been withheld until this time of year means there’s a higher percentage of it being awesome to the viewer.

 It doesn’t always work (see Transformers 2 and 3) but I feel better about taking the chance on a bad movie released in the summer then I would had it been released in the fall.  To be honest I get really angry (kind of like I am about fucking G.I. Joe).

So yeah we’ve established summer movies are the shit, who knew right?

Why midnight?  My friends and I morph into huge geeks/fan boys around this time of year and simply can’t wait, so we usually see them Thursday night at midnight and deal with working on a Friday on only a few hours of sleep. 

Plus I get to go on Social Media the next day and inform you all that I already saw the shit, so I’m better than you (kidding or am I?).

May looks exceptionally busy this year as each weekend has a big movie coming out: Iron Man 3, The Great Gatsby, Star Trek: Into Darkness, finally Fast and Furious 6 along with the Hangover III.  

The last two are tricky but we’ll probably wait until that Sunday to see Hangover III because... 
1.)   There really isn’t shit to watch on Sunday evenings in the summer.
2.)   You already know what you’re getting with The Hangover III

So what's up with the 7-11 Slurpee?

I’m just a big-ass kid and I LOVE THEM. 

There is no better feeling than spending a warm summer evening in a air-conditioned theatre with a reclined seat, your feet propped up on seat in front of you, and a Ice-cold Slurpee in your hand as Robert Downey Junior drinks and blows shit up on the big screen.

The feeling of euphoria I get when I drink a slupree in the summertime is hard to describe but I’ll try…

I feel like…well…I’m drinking a slurpee, only it’s being held by a hot chick in a bikini…. and I’m standing in the ocean…. and I’m wearing a pair of Ray-Bans…and for some reason Pitbull is playing…

Dale’

-WST

No comments:

Post a Comment