Thursday, April 4, 2013

MIKE RICE: THE DAMAGE IS DONE SO I GUESS I'LL BE LEAVING...


I’ve watched the footage of former Rutgers coach Mike Rice berating his players…

Lobbing basketballs at them like they were grenades.

Calling them the type of things that you’d hear outside of a bar before a fight breaks out.

Putting his hands on them.  Grabbing, pushing, getting in their faces.

And there are the players just taking it.

I watch the tapes that were obtained by ESPN’s ‘Outside the Line’s and I get angry because I think about what I would have done if Rice had whipped a ball at MY head.

 I’d proceed to wrap my hands around his neck and not let go until I was pulled off.  Straight Latrell Sprewell style.

Then I realized that’s 27 year-old grown man me.

Would I really have done that if I were an 18, 19, 20 year-old kid, a student-athlete on scholarship with fragile self-esteem?

  Would I have risked my reputation to stand up to my coach, or better yet, an entire University?

What if there hadn’t been any footage of Rice being a complete dick, and some player just got tired of it, and punched him in the face?

I’ll tell you what would have been said…

“He’s just a spoiled brat. Must be angry he didn’t get any playing time.”

“He’s a thug, a punk, he should just thank god for getting a chance.”

“He’s a troublemaker trying to make waves and has some grudge.”

Welcome to big-time college sports where more than often, it’s a lot easier to close your mouth and go along. This is nothing new.  Occurs a lot more than you would think.

Can you imagine what someone like Bobby Knight was probably saying and doing to his players during practice?  

He's probably counting his lucky stars he didn't coach these days where EVERYTHING is out in the open.

If you're a college athlete and dare speak against the powers that control an institution or program, anything and everything will be done to embarrass, discredit and silence you.

Rest assured if ESPN had not gotten a hold of that tape, Mike Rice would still be at Rutgers.

Rutgers Basketball Director of Player Development Eric Murdock, an eight-year NBA veteran, told ESPN he went to University Athletic Director Tim Pernetti as early as last summer about Rice’s behavior and nothing was done.

It wasn’t until Pernetti and Rutgers officials reviewed the practice footage for themselves that they decided to take action and what action they took…

A measly fine and three game suspension last December along with enrollment in a few anger management classes…with little explanation why.

Mike Rice woke up unemployed this morning for two reasons…

The first is damage control to quell the widespread criticism and public outcry in the aftermath of the report.

The second is because the school has now been embarrassed. And you NEVER embarrass the school. I can see Pernetti now...

“I’m sorry Mike, you can abuse and intimidate the kids all you want, but once you make the university look bad, your ass has to go bra.  How much is it going to take to make that happen?”

Don’t think Rice was not given a hefty amount of cash to go away and stop a potential lawsuit.  After all, he had already been “disciplined” for his actions and Rutgers knew about the tape since early November 2012.

So Rice gets a nice walk-away package, Rutgers heads to the B1G 10 next year to cash in and what about the kids?

They transfer or choose to stay.

Crumbled confidence and all.

-WST

No comments:

Post a Comment