Monday, April 29, 2013

TEN AWKWARD QUESTIONS CLUELESS WHITE PEOPLE ASK ME!



No one leads the league in awkward questions asked about Black People like White People...

I’m not piling on the whole race now. A large percentage of the Caucasians I associate with are not clueless at all.

 But they grew up with me immersed in diversity, a privilege that everyone is not afforded.

In 27 years of life, I’ve fielded every racially-associated question you can think of from Caucasians without much frustration or ill-will…

Some asked just to make conversation because they didn’t know what else to say…

Others were simply due to the fact that they hadn’t hung out with too many African-Americans and naturally there was curiosity.

Here are ten of my all-time favorites!

10. "WHAT DO GRITS TASTE LIKE?"

9. "YOUR HAIR IS DIFFERENT…CAN I TOUCH IT?"


8. "SO…DID YOU VOTE FOR OBAMA?"

7."CAN I TELL YOU A JOKE?  IT'S A LITTLE RACIST…"


6. "MJ OR KOBE?"

5. "CAN YOU TEACH ME HOW TO DANCE?"


4. "NEVER HAD A BLACK FRIEND, WILL YOU BE MINE?"


3. "IS IT TRUE WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT BLACK GUYS?"

2. "DO YOU CARE IF I SAY THE N-WORD?"


1."TUPAC OR BIGGIE?"
Tupac-Biggie isn’t really an awkward question as much as it’s the timing.  White people tend to drop it out of the blue when there’s no discussion of music going on whatsoever.

If a white guy is around black people he’s unfamiliar with, the old “Tupac or Biggie” debate is THE go-to play.

Stepped out for a drink with some people Friday night and my buddy’s girl brought a couple of her co-workers.  Here’s how’s the convo went right after we had finished discussing our jobs:

HIM: So you a Biggie or Tupac fan man?

ME: (shit-eating grin) First-time huh?

HIM: Excuse me?

ME: Never mind, I’m more of a Biggie guy bro.

HIM: Me Too!  I felt like Pac was a better storyteller but Biggie was all about the lyrics man!

I know he went home excited as shit like I MADE A BLACK FRIEND! UNITY!!!!!

-WST

No comments:

Post a Comment